Sunday 8 October 2017

This and That


Getting ready for our Thanksgiving meal ( for those who are not aware, Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend). I'm not happy with putting anyone WAAAYYY out at the end of the second table but I couldn't think of any other solution. I should add that 4  members of the family couldn't make it and still I was at a loss how to fit everyone in.)


My  Pumpkin pies tasted better than they look. A certain young man who shall remain nameless went for thirds!!



After looking various stores I finally found the bulbs I was searching for:  Winter Aconites.   I used to grow them but it was under a hedge of Rugosa Roses and gradually the Aconites disappeared.
 These pretty little flowers grow super early in Spring , grow only 4 inches high, and self-seed if they're happy. I'll try to keep them very happy!

The other bulbs I wanted was the kind of Tulip that is not hybrid and apparently more apt to last years and years. They also are quite short and bloom early but not as early as the Aconites.



Last of all is a mini rant. I detest the gruessome aspects of Halloween.  All the fake grave markers, horrible witches and giant spiders turn me off.  This family goes all out every year with more than what you can see in this pic. There are inflatable  monsters etc.. and all this is along the street where I walk to go to the park. I think I'll take a different route for the next month!!


Thanks for popping by. I hope you're enjoying a lovely Sunday!

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian followers!!


Granny Marigold



13 comments:

  1. I do wish our Thanksgiving were as early as yours. I dislike cramming both big holidays into the last 6 weeks of the year. Ugh! Your table looks lovely, and I think those pies are PERFECT! They look homemade and scrumptious.
    I agree about the ghastly stuff - yuck. A yard near us actually has a skeleton man, walking a skeleton dog on a leash. I just don't see the appeal, although I know some people hold it as their favorite holiday. Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! Your table looks lovely and I love pumpkin pie, no matter what it looks like, and yours look fine to me! I am not a fan of Halloween, I never have been, not even as a child. I love fall decorations (and you can put them out in September and leave them til Christmas!) so decorate with them. I have a few cutesy Halloween decorations that I put out for the grandchildren but the gruesome and spooky will not be found at our house! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Halloween. Some of the stuff is so vile and really sad. I saw a skeleton of a dog at a major big-box store yesterday and found it really sad. I think it serves only to desensitize people who already have little respect for animals. I wish we could forget all the dreary Halloween displays and have a few happy pumpkins, maybe a ghost made out of a hanger and old sheet, a black cat in the window, and leave it at that. Halloween used to be a happy night, not gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a beautiful Thanksgiving weekend! Your table looks amazing. I'm posting pictures later of our tiny but lovely celebration.

    I like Halloween for the kids and we put a few decorations up but nothing too scary. I'm not a big fan of all the goriness. A witch here, a ghost there is fine. If that was my route for my walk, I'd probably take detour too!

    Have a great week!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks so lovely! And your pies......just delicious!
    Glad you found the bulbs you were looking for.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Your tables look wonderful despite the length what a joy to celebrate with so many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes!!! I noticed on my calendar, that today is Canada's Thanksgiving! Happy Day!

    You are so much wiser, having it now, than we, having it so late and so close to Christmas. I always say this, every year!

    How lovely to have all those people, coming to dinner!!!!

    Delightful.

    Perhaps there can be one seating, for dinner. And then, everyone get up, and change seats, for dessert? :-)))

    anyway, have a lovely day!!!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got quite the crowd to cook for. All looks very lovely and inviting, especially your pumpkin pies. I was so busy serving our meal that by the time I got to sit down for my dessert, all of the pumpkin pie was already eaten (I had 3 different kinds of pie, one of each)so I feel abit cheated....and hungry for a bite of yours. I agree with you about the Halloween "decor", all rather ghastly.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table is set pretty and no one will mind being at the end table. It is nice to have one big long one as a family! I don't like the witches and skeleton Halloween decor either. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Looks like you fed a lot of folks!
    I really like Halloween decorations, but pumpkins are my favorite, much more so that grave markers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly have no shortage of beautiful dishes for your big feast! I think the pumpkin pies look wonderful. My granddaughter, Audrey (or was it Hazel?) dropped a hint the other day that she sure did like my pumpkin pies. I only make one at Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas, but I should make one earlier if little girls like it so much that they even mention it! My grands are more into superheroes at Halloween. Where do they store all of those ghoulish decorations?!? A different walking route sounds like a good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your autumn thanksgiving decor. What an impressive table! I am sort of "live and let live" (or "to each his own") with all the Halloween decorations, though my own style is more autumnal and cozy than creepy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving a bit late! Your table looks lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete