Tuesday 10 October 2017

Chestnuts and some Thrift Store Treasures



As I've mentioned in other years the kind of Chestnuts that grow around here are not edible and are known commonly as Horse Chestnuts. I have no idea if horses actually eat them, or for that matter if squirrels do. I like their glossiness and the little hedgehoglike exteriors. My eldest daughter  gathered
a lot of them for me. Enough for this wooden bowl.....


    ..... and for this flat dish as well. A few pine cones seem to have slipped in.


I went to browse at the thrift store this morning and found this heavy, made in Italy, bowl. The green goes well in my kitchen.  Under the pears, hidden from view by a napkin there is a Christmas design but I intend to keep it covered and use it all year round.


I also picked up this pretty Christmas mug and Royal Albert cup. The mug was ten cents, the cup was a dollar. Oh yes, that bowl was also a dollar.


Now the day is almost  done and I have a pot of Pea Soup gently simmering away. It rained most of the day but now the sun has peeked through the clouds. Hopefully tomoorrow will be fair.


Thanks for visiting,



                           Granny Marigold

10 comments:

  1. The horse chestnuts are so pretty. Wonder why those are not edible? I like what you found at the thrift store. Oh, your Thanksgiving table (last post) is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it that you see the beauty in simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thrift shop finds and such bargain prices, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrift shopping is so fun! Great finds! Bowls and mugs ate two of my favorite treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those horse chestnuts are really pretty. Now I need someone to collect some, for me!

    Natural decorations are so much lovelier than plastic.

    Did you have a lovely Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful finds! I love our thrift store. And those chestnuts are very shiny, dark brown and beautiful. Even if they're not edible, they are really worth putting around for decoration. Wish we had some here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Momma always had a bowl of nuts on the table during the holidays. Your picture brought back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty the chestnuts look in arrangement! The only edible nut that grows in our area is pecans. Love your pretty mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love conkers and always collect them. And I love your china. Our charity shops seem to have got much more expensive these days.

    ReplyDelete